Pages

Friday, December 24, 2010

Teamwork

So I'm a volleyball player, I love playing it. It's one of my favorite sports. My other favorite is ultimate frisbee, but that's irrelevant. In volleyball, every single team member counts. On all the teams I play on, I'm always a hitter. Now normally in volleyball, hitters get most of the credit, mainly because they hit the ball hard and that's where the most intense part of the sport is. But I'm completely powerless without my team, whether or not I'm a good player. When I'm in front row, I'm dependent on my setter to set me up in order for me to hit, but in order for my setter to set me up, he or she has to get a good pass from whoever the ball comes to. The whole team is important in volleyball, whether or not hitters are considered the "dominant" players. Isn't it the same with Christians? Shouldn't we be depending on each other in order to spread the Gospel throughout the world with our different gifts and abilities? 
In Romans 12:5-8, Paul writes, "5 so in Christ we, though many, form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. 6 We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your faith; 7 if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach; 8 if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead, do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully."
 And he also writes in 1 Corinthians 12:14-19, "14 Even so the body is not made up of one part but of many. 15 Now if the foot should say, “Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body,” it would not for that reason stop being part of the body. 16 And if the ear should say, “Because I am not an eye, I do not belong to the body,” it would not for that reason stop being part of the body. 17If the whole body were an eye, where would the sense of hearing be? If the whole body were an ear, where would the sense of smell be? 18 But in fact God has placed the parts in the body, every one of them, just as he wanted them to be. 19 If they were all one part, where would the body be? 20 As it is, there are many parts, but one body."
God has given us all different abilities, while you might be a hand or an eye, I might be a pinky toe, or a toenail. In other words, while you might have the gift of evangelism, I might have the gift of preaching, or something along those lines. So be a team player, don't just worry about what you can do by yourself; as Christians, we're all in this together, and we have God with us at all times!

No comments:

Post a Comment