Pages

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Opportunities

So last week, I actually did a message for a youth group that I work with. I figured I should share the basic premise of the message since I haven't updated this thing in about 6 months.

I did a talk on Esther 4. The main thing I focused on was what Mordecai said to Esther in verses 13-14: "he sent back this answer: "Do not think that because you are in the king's house you alone of all the Jews will escape. For if you remain silent at this time, relief and deliverance for the Jews will arise from another place, but you and your father's family will perish. and who knows but that you have come to royal position for such a time as this?"" In chapter 4, Mordecai was trying to convince Esther to go to talk to King Xerxes in order to convince him to stop Haman from hunting every single Jew down. Esther was apprehensive to go talk to the team. I don't say I blame her, considering there was a standing death sentence for whoever decided to walk into the court of the King without an invitation. The only way out would be the King extending his scepter towards whoever intruded on him.

When I read through this, recently, what Mordecai said really struck me differently than it ever did before. He was challenging. Mordecai was telling Esther that this is her chance to go and make an impact for God and His Kingdom. Sure, God could easily do it without her, but that doesn't mean that He doesn't want to do it without her. I can tell you right now that my life has been full of missed opportunities to make an impact for God's Kingdom. I still miss opportunities. Why? Well I'm scared, to be honest. That doesn't make that right at all. What do I have to be scared of anyways? Sure, people might talk down to me, and talk about me behind my back. But that's nothing compared to what Esther went through. She had to put her LIFE on the line, not just her reputation. So what's holding you back? What's keeping you from doing what God has called you to do?

The other thing I want to talk about concerning what Mordecai said is the fact that he was able to actually tell Esther the tough stuff. The Bible actually says that Mordecai had adopted Esther because her parents had both died already. On top of that, they were cousins. I can't even begin to imagine what was going through Mordecai's head as he was telling Esther to go potentially practically commit suicide. That must have been one of the hardest things he ever had to say, if not the hardest. What if we took the time to challenge our Christian friends who are struggling with something? You know, I have an accountability partner, and we challenge each other a lot. It's one way that we keep each other from just getting casual in our walk with God. Is there a specific person in your life that you feel that you need to keep accountable and that you need them to keep you accountable?

Mordecai was willing to say something so challenging that Esther did in fact change her mind. What if we were all like Mordecai to each other? What more could we all accomplish?

1 comment:

  1. Wow jeff, I just had the same thoughts as far as posting on mine today. Thank you for the challenge.

    ReplyDelete